Negative keyword lists
About negative keyword lists
As the title implies there exist good and bad keywords. Positive keywords are ones that benefit you but negative ones you will want to leave behind since they don’t do much good. Negative keywords give you unwanted impressions and clicks across all platforms you advertise through. You can create a chain of unwanted keywords so that not only your campaigns are clean but also so that you never see those keywords in ads.
How does it work?
To build the list you want to research words that are out of balance and not eligible for your campaign. The best way to remove negative keyword lists is to organize words in groups depending on the products you use. You can add up to 5000 negative words per list and create up to 20 negative keyword lists in your account.
One negative keyword list can be applied to multiple campaigns. In the future, if you need to add negative keywords to that same campaign you can just edit the already existing list and put them there.
Create and apply negative keyword lists to campaigns
Here we will show you the process of making keyword lists. You can start by doing the following:
- Go to the page menu and on the left side click keywords.
- Click negative keywords in the upper part of the page.
- Click the plus button.
- Click select a campaign and choose the campaign you want to add negative keywords to.
- Enter or paste only one negative word per line.
- Click save to a new or existing list and then give your list a name.
- Save your progress and you are good to go.
Now that you have created your first list, you need to apply it to your campaigns. Just follow those next few steps to learn how to apply them to multiple campaigns:
- Go to the tools icon in the top right corner and click it.
- You will see negative keyword lists under the shared library page.
- Click the box next to the negative keyword lists you want to apply to your campaigns.
- Click apply to campaigns.
- Review which campaigns you want to be edited with new keyword lists.
- Click apply and enjoy.
You can also apply negative keyword lists to a single campaign, the process is next:
- Click campaigns in the page menu to the left.
- Select the campaign you want to edit.
- Click keywords in the left part of the page and then click negative keywords on the top.
- Click the plus button.
- Click-use a negative keyword list.
- Select the negative keyword list you want to apply to your campaign.
- Save it and that’s it.
You can also apply multiple keyword lists to multiple campaigns even from the campaigns page. Here is how:
- Select campaigns from the page menu.
- Check the box at campaigns you want to apply your negative keywords to.
- Click edit.
- Click edit targeting and then negative keywords.
- Select those negative keywords you want to use in the campaigns.
- You can preview changes by clicking preview and if the negative keyword is already being used the preview will show you.
- Click apply to finally add the negative keywords to your campaigns, and you are done here.